AQUATIC PHYSIOTHERAPY / HYDROTHERAPY
Aquatic Physiotherapy / Hydrotherapy involves a series of gentle therapeutic exercises individually selected for clients (as distinct from swimming or aqua-aerobics classes) and is carried out in a heated pool (33°C) under the direct supervision of one of our qualified and experienced physiotherapists.
Using water as a means of recovery from injury and surgery has long been an effective means of rehabilitation. The buoyancy of the water provides support, enabling exercises to be performed much more comfortably and easily in water than on land. After undergoing a thorough land based initial assessment in our clinic you will be guided through an individualised program which will be specifically designed to help you recover in the safest and most efficient way.
This may involve the use of equipment such as flippers, floats, paddles, rubber tubing and underwater steps. The benefits of hydrotherapy are numerous, including; pain relief, muscle strengthening and relaxation, increased joint flexibility, improved circulation, fitness and balance.
Aquatic Physiotherapy / Hydrotherapy can help with the following:
- Post surgery (following hip/knee replacements, spinal surgery, reconstruction)
- Lower back pain and sciatica
- Arthritis (both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis)
- Core strengthening
- General reconditioning and strengthening
- Balance and coordination problems
- Neurological conditions
- Shoulder pain/stiffness
- Sports injuries and tendinopathy
- Rehabilitation after fractures